CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, April 12, 2009

The Power Within Us.....All

So I've been struggling the last few months. Struggling in my thoughts about our pending adoption. You know how writers get writers block for various reasons? Well I guess I have been thinking that I have prayer block. It isn't that I haven't tried to pray about the adoption, it is that I haven't really been communicating with God through prayer. Typically for me that means that I am just rambling on and not expecting to hear God's voice in return. But it occurred to me this morning that there is more to it than that.

Fear. I have been gripped by fear about this adoption. I'm not totally sure why. I think with Miss B's adoption I had fear, but it was masked by all of the emotion and newness of the whole idea of adoption. There were so many new things going on that I had no time to focus on fear and uncertainty. This time around is different. Process wise we have a better idea of what to expect. We know that things are going to take a long time. We are a little bit more accepting that there are things out of our control. I think in part that knowing these things has made it a bit easer to let fear creep in.

The thing I learned with Miss B is that God is definitely in control. It was hard for me to take that initial leap, but as the process went on we knew that God was in control and were joyous in following the path we has laid out in front of us. Bringing her home has been an incredible blessing. and her bouncing through the house has brought tremendous joy on top of the joy we already had with the kids we already had. So when it was clear that God was asking us to go back to Ethiopia and expand our family even more, we knew we had to say yes..the rewards would be way worth it.

So what am I afraid of? well let's start with numbers...we are talking about going from 6 kids to 7 or 8. I used to joke that once you had more than 2 kids it wasn't a big deal because you are out numbered anyway. Well to say that we are already outnumbered is an understatement. we are approaching the size of multiple basketball teams. I am having dreams that bus companies are calling me to see if I am interested in the latest model. Not really but some times I wonder. The thought of clothes, food (have you seen teenage boys eat?), cars, college, weddings, etc. scares the heck out of me. We have been so richly blessed and I know in my heart that God has a plan (not just a sense of humor) and He will see us through. I have been blessed enough to know that as we are more obedient he will bless us even more. It is exciting but terrifying at the same time.

So why did this realization hit home today, Easter Sunday? 2 words really ... Resurrection Power. Christ promises us that by accepting that He was sacrificed for our sins that we will receive His power just as He gave it. Look at the miracles that He performed. Look at the compassion that he held for his enemies even as they tortured, humiliated, and ultimately murdered Him. Look at the miracle of his resurrection. Even if we just possessed a micron of that love, compassion, and power we could achieve such great things for Him. The the good news is that he has given it all to us. We can change the world in unbelievable ways. We don't have to lead congregations, go on missions trips, build shelters, or even adopt a starving child. We just have to say yes to what he asks each of individually to do, and we can make that difference that I believe each one of us wants to make deep down in side. Yes it can be scary. Like our Pastor said in his message this morning, "If we knew what was going to happen before He asks us to do it, we never would sign up". However while the unknown is scary, the rewards are incredible.

Now thats power.

Have a Blessed Easter,

Scott