CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, February 12, 2010

2 weeks home

Well we have been home for 2 weeks now - and boy has time just "poof" disappeared. The first week home I had a cold and the jet lag wow oh wow - I was just done by about 5 pm each night. YIKES! but things are going amazingly well with Alemtsehay. The advantage of older child adoption is that they can tell you what they want, at least some of the time. She definitely has some food concerns - but it all relates to picky ness - as in yesterday I ate a ton of that, but today I'm not eating any of it. Thus far she doesn't seem to have any hoarding issues and is happy to share any treats she has - which is very sweet to see. She sleeps like a log - which is also great because getting up at night isn't fun for me! She has been waking very early - to play with her Polly pocket dolls - finally I just asked her to stay in bed and play as getting up with the teens at 6 am really isn't the greatest idea.

She started school this week and so far seems to really enjoy going (okay I typed that and did myself in this morning - as she decided that she didn't like any of her shoes or her hair - LOL)

Anyway older child adoption thus far has been much easier than I anticipated - there really haven't been any tantrums. She certainly is grieving and willing to cry and get it out - though she really can't talk about it - I don't think she had the English to convey it to me and mostly I imagine that she just feels sad inside.

Probably the biggest challenge for me is exhaustion - this is very tiring and stressful as you never know how she will react in a new situation - we are learning but these first few weeks are stressful. And there are many times I have to say to myself 7 year old body 2 year old mind - and boy oh boy is that true.

So far the best part is that she really seems to be fitting in - she definitely loves having brothers and sisters and at least most of the time she loves having a mom and a dad too.

3 comments:

Me. Us. She. said...

I'm so glad you finally posted. I've been waiting! When will you be able to go back for Estifanos? How was your time in Ethiopia?
Amanda

M and M said...

Oh Bonnie, I have been waiting to hear/read about your settling in time. I am so happy to know you are home and feeling like every day is closer to your 'new normal' than the last. Now, send your sweet hubby to go and get your boy! Welcome home, dear friend. And welcome to AlemTsehaye.

Andrea Hill said...

Oh Bonnie, that is such awesome news. Very smart on having her play with her polly pocket dolls. I do the same with mine since they have been home, they like to get up at 6 so they have learned to quietly occupy themselves. Everything is very true about older child adoptions, I didn't anticipate either it being this easy but my kiddos weren't 7.. but still older than 3...The shoe part is really funny, I hope you don't give in.. Shoes can be costly. Biruk just flat out lied to me in the beginning when he didn't like shoes and said he needs new shoes because his don't fit. So I told him well you could wear the ones you brought from ET but he decided quickly that his shoes fit and they were way cooler. Soooo soo happy for you and your family that things are going so well. I think the exhaustion part will probably be over in a few month.