CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, February 15, 2010

Adoption and Childbirth

When I had our first I thought I'd never forget what it was like to be in labor and what it was like to be up night after night with a crying baby. but of course I did. (each and every time I forgot - I mean I sort of remembered but not really)

Well adoption is no different - you forget about all the work involved in blending a new family member in. You forget about the challenges of attachement, the tears and the grief. It is more than worth all the work - but it is probably a very good thing that this mommy's brain is more prone to remember the joys - the snuggles - the kisses and the hugs.

Couple of things I never want to forget - In ET one night we were out to dinner at one of those cultural resturants and Alemtsehay looks at me with surprise in her eyes and says "I think I like you!" ( now she had been telling me I love you all week - but those were just words - this was real feeling and it meant way more to me than the empty I love yous). The last week or so at night when she kisses me good night she kisses my head, my nose, both cheeks, my chin and then lips - totally her own thing and so very cute!

1 comments:

Tammy said...

Bonnie and Family,

So happy to read that the transition is going well for you and your daughter. You also mentioned how the transition has gone easier than with a toddler. This is interesting - our family has been talking about another adoption and next time we will consider an older child.

I was also thinking about how God orchestrated this transition to be fairly simple so that by the time you bring your son home, you will be ready to focus your attention towards his needs. God is good!